Friday, March 25, 2011

Practice makes...Almost Perfect

For those of you who know my family, you know what an incredible man my dad, Gerald Cody, is. He is literally one of the most compassionate, patient, hardworking, loving, Godly men I know. Somehow, he manages to be his best at work and at home as a husband and father, something you don't find often in men.

When I was four or five, I wrote my dad a letter asking him to marry me.
In case you're wondering, that didn't work out, but I do hope to someday meet a man like him.
My dad is always sending me e-mails with little quotes and stories--it's sort of our way of talking during the day when he's working and I'm at school. The latest one he sent me has really stuck with me, though. It's a short but very powerful little quote and one that I could stand to live by more fully.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
-Aristotle

We are what we repeatedly do. We are the habits we form. We become what we choose to make part of our daily lives.
Excellence is not obtained by doing something once. It requires discipline and self-control and focus. It must become a part of your daily routine--something you strive for everyday, not just once a week. (Does this ring a bell anyone? We can't live our lives one way Monday through Saturday and then expect going to church on Sunday to make it all better.)
When I read this, I began thinking about my habits. And then sort of wished I hadn't.
I tend to eat too many sweets and be super anal about things that I shouldn't be. I like to be in control so I don't get hurt, and I often watch Golden Girls as I go to sleep instead of reading my bible.
Needless to say, I have more than enough room for change in my daily habits.
Because I don't want to be mediocre, and I don't want to spend my life trying to make up for bad habits.
Let this be an encouragement to steer your habits towards excellence; you might regret it if you don't, but you'll never regret it if you do.

1 comment:

  1. Such true words...just like "we are what we eat" ...."we are what we do". And....I'd let you have your Dad, BUT I had him first! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete