Saturday, April 9, 2011

all you need is love (ba da dadada...)

Love. It's what makes the world go 'round. It's also the reason we're here in the first place, and the reason we can look forward to something better when we leave. And let me tell you, it is in the air.
If you've read my last blog post (which, by the way, was too long ago), you know that my sister/best friend is ENGAGED! And the love she shares with Trey (soon-to-be-husband), is the best kind of love. It is kind, it is patient, and it is unending. 
As for the kind of love in my life right now?...well...it's a little different than the one I just mentioned above. But you better believe it's still here--fully, completely surrounding me. Lately I have learned a lot about this love, the love that you have for your very best friends because your life just wouldn't be the same without them. The kind that you thank God for every day because it can only come by His blessing. 
There is also tough love. The kind that is hard to show sometimes because you love someone so much you don't want to push them away, yet you love them too much not to tell them the hard things. 
One of the most important things I've learned about love, though, is that you can't try to hold on to and take care of the people you love on your own. They are ultimately God's, not ours. So many times we (and by "we" I mean "I") want to hold on to people we love because giving them to God seems scary; being out of control is terrifying. ...we are such control freaks...again, by "we" I mean "I."
But we cannot fully enjoy the relationships God gives us (or has taken away) until we give those people over to Him, trusting that God will take care of them. It's a humbling thing to realize that we don't actually have control...it's also a relief though, isn't it?
So feel free to love, and love hard. Love those who are close to you and are there for you; never assume that they already know you love them, so tell them often. Also love those who have hurt you; it will soften your heart and will ultimately soften theirs if you show them your love. And give all of these people you love (or are trying to love) to God. He can take care of them better than we ever could on our own. 
The Beatles said it best: "all you need is love (ba da dadada...)"

No comments:

Post a Comment