Sunday, May 1, 2011

absence makes the heart grow fonder

17 DAYS until I leave for Paris! It still doesn't seem real, and I don't think it will until I'm actually on the plane headed for Charles De Gaulle Airport in France. And then I still think it might not until 8.5 hours later when my plane lands and suddenly I can't understand a single word being spoken around me. I'm often not one for change, but the idea of being so out of my comfort zone now thrills me. 
As I become more and more excited about spending part of my summer abroad, I also start to think about all of the things I'm going to miss about my home sweet Athens. The first is the precious little house I live in. It was definitely questionable in more than a few ways before we moved in, but after many, many hours of cleaning and painting and scrubbing and polishing, it looked as good as new! (maybe new isn't quite the word I'm looking for...) It has become the best little home, and I will miss it so very much while I'm gone.
I will also miss the little neighborhood I live in. There are always women pushing strollers or playing with their babies in the back yard, couples planting flowers along their sidewalk out front, men taking their big, beautiful, perfectly-behaved Golden Retrievers out for a morning run. Literally, it's the most perfect little place and I wouldn't mind at all raising a family in this very neighborhood one day. 
I'm also going to miss the incredible Athens food. Yes...you knew that was coming, didn't you? Mostly I'll miss the Grit..oh goodness, I'm just now realizing how long I'll have to go without it. I'll miss my treasured Spiced Chai from Jittery Joe's and those huge tubs of yogurt from Yoforia and being able to eat Mexican outside at Cali and Tito's. 
But more than the things I will miss are the people I will miss. I'm going to miss my friends that I'm so used to seeing everyday, so used to living with and baking with and having conversations for hours on end with. I'm going to miss my family...sensitive subject. Yes, I'm 21, but I have never been away from my family for this long so that will probably (definitely) be the biggest and hardest adjustment. I installed Skype on my mom's laptop the other day--is it just me, or does this seem like role reversal?
Realizing all of the things I love and am going to miss once again reminds me of how very, very blessed I am. I notice more and more how God is able to show me that in so many ways. 
So although there are things I will miss about the place that has quickly become my second home (remember, home is always in Habersham), I am so ready for what God is going to do with me in Paris. This morning in church our pastor said, "It's not about where you live; it's how you live." How true, and how good to know that it doesn't matter that I'll be seemingly a million miles away from so many things and people that I love; it is only how I live while I'm there that matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment