Sunday, May 8, 2011

here's to you, mother and best friend

I know it's after midnight, so technically it's Monday. But I'm still at the end of my Sunday, so it's still Mother's Day to me. And I promised a post completely dedicated to the woman God ordained to create and to have me, so here it is.
Before I type another word, know that this is a very condensed summary of my feelings for my mom. I could literally go on for days about her, but my hands would develop carpal tunnel before I could even begin to skim the surface of who she is.
I also have to begin by referencing God's love for mothers and the importance He places in them. From the very beginning of the Bible, God makes it clear that the first woman ever made will be the one who will give life to everyone who is to come: "Then the man--Adam--named his wife Eve, because she would be the mother of all who live." Genesis 3:20. Adam gave her this name because "Eve" sounds like a Hebrew term that means "to give life." Can you imagine the responsibility of knowing that you are essentially the beginning of the world's population until the end of time?...I might think twice the next time I get overwhelmed with what to eat for breakfast.
God even compares the way He comforts us to the way a mother comforts her child, and I think this is no coincidence. "I will comfort you there in Jerusalem as a mother comforts her child." Isaiah 66:13. Though we can never truly understand just how much God loves us, He uses a mother's love to give us an idea, in human terms, of the vastness of His love for us; that's pretty significant if you ask me.
Might I also point out the way in which Jesus was put on this Earth? God didn't use a man--Mary was a virgin--but instead put Jesus in the womb of a woman of God, making her a mother. Mary played a huge role in the life of Jesus, never leaving Him, even as He took His last breaths on the cross. Here, a mother's love is truly comparable to God's love for us.
And through my mother I have seen the love of God every day of my life. She is incredible--seriously the most kind, selfless, compassionate, giving, hospitable, loving, caring, fun, Godly woman. Even my earliest memories of her are so good; most of them are spent snuggling in bed with her on Sunday afternoons or having her sing me to sleep when I had bad dreams or making cinnamon rolls with her on Saturday mornings.
As I've gotten older, our relationship has only gotten better. As she talked me through my middle school and high school boy problems (and maybe my college ones too), helped me pick out every prom dress and never missed a single basketball game or football game to watch me cheer, I saw her love for me so clearly. She loves me so well, and in the best ways. And that goes for my whole family. She has always been, and continues to be, such a Godly woman in every aspect of her life; I know that this has so much to do with why she is such an incredible mom.
Now that she is not only my mom but one of my best friends, we can talk about even more (if that was possible). She is the one I want to call when I'm sick, when I'm upset or frustrated or confused. She gives the most sound advice--not always the easiest to hear--with a wisdom I know I can trust. She also gives the best back scratches and head rubs...I got those today, actually. And on Mother's Day! I told you she was selfless.
I just love her.. I love the food she cooks. I love to cuddle with her. I love the way she smells. I love the way she decorates our home. I love the way she loves my dad. I love her cute little ponytail.
And I could seriously go on for days. But I'll stop here before this post becomes a novel.
Thank you, mom, for being who you are and for making me who I am. I hope to be the wife and mother that you are one day, God willing. I am forever grateful that God put us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment