Thursday, May 19, 2011

jet lag...

So. tired. Can't. function...
But I'm HERE!! I can't believe that I'm finally in Paris--it is only now that it all finally seems real. Since I couldn't blog on the plane, I wrote in my journal what I wished I could be blogging. Here are my excerpts from the sky:

   "Currently above Canada on Delta Flight 28, making my way to PARIS! The flight is right over 8 hours--my legs will be ready to run another half-marathon by the time I get off this plane. I'm sitting by my sweet friend Janna Chapman who's doing this whole study abroad thing with me. And I'm so excited about exploring Europe with her! We cannot stop pouring over our French guidebooks and saying, 'Merci beaucoup!' to each other every chance we get (mostly because that's about the only French we know). The food on the plane looked disgusting and probably had enough sodium to cause a minor heart attack. No thank you. So I ate my Luna Bar and will eagerly anticipate my next meal--in France. Still so crazy to think about! By the time we arrive at Charles De Gaulle Airport, it will be about 7:00 a.m. Paris time, 1:00 a.m. U.S. time. Essentially I will be awake for over 24 hours straight. This calls for shots of espresso when I get there! Speaking of a lack of sleep...Janna is napping beside me. Smart girl. I guess I should try that too. Au revoir!"

Just to follow up...I was never able to fall asleep on the plane, so I got strong, strong coffee the minute I was given the chance. I almost accidentally ordered a shot of strong espresso but, thankfully, someone knew that wasn't what I meant and corrected me. I have found that being in a place where you don't know the language and have no idea of your whereabouts is really, really hard. The French people seriously don't appreciate that we don't know their language. Not good for me. Needless to say, I've gotten the stink eye more than once today. But I'm really trying, and a lot of Parisians appreciate Americans trying to speak French even when it sounds terrible.
Today after our orientation a bunch of us set out for the streets of Paris to see what we could find. I found a plethora of stores to go back and visit, a raspberry tart which was divine, the Eiffel Tower, and a homemade personal pizza that took my breath away. (pictures later!)
I wish I could say more...but I'm so jet lagged. I have now been up for over 30 hours and am slowly approaching delirium.
So much more to come!

4 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!! Why didn't you take me with you again? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad and I just read your blog...heavens, it sounds just delicious! Not just the raspberry tart...ALL of it! Get some good sleep tonight, baby girl, and enjoy your adventure tomorrow! Much love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send me an email to my gmail accout and let us know when you can Skype. I hope you are having great time.
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a really great Blog. Jet lag will cause you to tire easily, have lack of concentration and insomnia which is caused from your sleep-wake cycle being thrown off course because you traveled over three time zones or more.So try anti jet lag diet to get rid off this problem.

    ReplyDelete