Wednesday, May 25, 2011

life in Paris

I am very aware that my blogging has been sub-par...but I'm having a hard time making myself sit down and write when all I want to do is explore Paris. I haven't even been here a week and I'm already so in love. I don't know if I could ever afford living here (maybe I should start playing the Georgia lottery more), but I would love to.
On Sunday we traveled to Champs-Elysees for...take a guess...shopping! It's a really touristy area, which has its positives and negatives for sure. Positive: stores for days! I myself headed straight for the H&M Paris. Along the way I passed Louis Vuitton, Chanel and the likes--definitely walked right past those. Negative: everything is expensive. I mean everything. I went to get a crepe (go figure) and it was 8.50 euros. That's almost $13.00, y'all. Are you kidding me? I get mine for 3.50 euros at crepe stands on backstreets, so I wasn't fixing to drop that on an afternoon snack. Anyways, you get my point about the ups and downs.
On Monday we ventured to Montmartre, a part of Paris known for its vintage shopping and, most importantly, the Basilique de Sacre-Coeur.
The basilica in itself is absolutely gorgeous, but it sits at the highest point of Paris, so you can see the whole city when you're there.
It was crazy for me to imagine that this place was built so long ago for the same God I love and worship today. For me, this just goes to show how He is everlasting and unchanging--always has been and always will be.
Yesterday we made our way to Luxembourg Gardens for the afternoon. It was beautiful and quiet. Even the toddlers are quiet. They make Americans look obnoxious, honestly. Regardless, our time spent in the park there was so nice and relaxing; it was nice to be off of my feet for once. Speaking of feet...mine are disgusting. They are covered in blisters from walking so much, and I feel like there's this constant film of  dirt on them. One of the first things I'm doing when I get home is getting a PEDICURE.
Today almost our whole group went to the Notre Dame together. The Disney movie just really didn't do it justice. It blows my mind that people were able to create something so intricate and gorgeous that long ago. (I don't have my pictures uploaded now but I will tomorrow for sure--this is me being lazy.) My friends and I are going to mass there on Sunday and I am ecstatic! Mostly because it's mass at Notre Dame and also because I've never actually been to a Catholic mass before. I don't know how, but I haven't. We're also planning on going back on the first Friday of June, because apparently they will be displaying some of the thorns from Jesus's crown. Seriously...can you imagine? I need to find a pack of Kleenex before I go.
On another note, a group of girls and I just booked our vacation that we'll be taking in a couple weeks. We're going to Nice for four nights; it's a beach city in the south of France on the Mediterranean Sea and is so, so beautiful. Where in France isn't??
So excited! I'll post tomorrow--I promise--because I know I've been bad about it. I'm finally over jet-lag and getting settled in so hopefully I can make myself sit down for more than 5 minutes at a time now. More to come!

1 comment:

  1. I love being able to follow you via your blog.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete