Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sundays in Paris

This morning I woke up much earlier than I expected to. I'm not sure why; maybe it was the tolling of the bells 100 feet from our window. I'm not kidding--we literally share a dorm with priests.
Anyhow, it was sort of nice to start my day early for once. And for the first time this whole trip, I went for a run with my roommate Janna. It had been entirely too long since I'd made my legs move at a pace faster than a power walk, so endorphins literally started running throughout my body the minute my feet hit the pavement. We made our way to Luxembourg Gardens; apparently this is where people in Paris come to run, because it's definitely not on the sidewalks.
The temperature was perfect. It was cool with a chill in the air, but no so cold that you needed anything more than shorts and a t-shirt. And as I began to run alongside others in the park, I felt like a Parisian for the first time. I didn't feel like I stuck out like a sore thumb, because I always do. And the gardens are spectacular, so that wasn't so bad either.
After we got back, the girls and I ventured off to try a place called Lux Coffee that we've been dying to try. We all had omeletes and crepes for brunch, afterwards setting out to explore the city some more. Actually, we were looking for a good ice cream place to hit up later on and ended up shopping instead (story of my life here). It was the most beautiful, relaxing day, and I soon decided that Sundays in Paris are one of my new favorite things. Although...what day in Paris isn't a good one?
This past weekend the whole group took a weekend trip to Normandy, France. We visited a memorial museum, Omaha Beach, Pointe du Hoc, the American and British soldier cemeteries, and Bayeux.



 So many emotions come with visiting these places. There's awe, there's sadness and pride and even love for the people that I know gave their lives there. I was snapping pictures on the beach in my tennis shoes and rain jacket, knowing that over 60 years ago there were men taking their last breaths at the very spot where I was standing. It's humbling, to say the least. But it made me even more grateful for the sacrifices made.
To change the subject completely, my nutella obsession is worsening by the minute. Peanut butter is so last week--mom, you might want to go ahead and have a jar ready for me when I get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment