Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Christmastime in Paris

Okay...maybe it's just my Christmastime. Today begins the famous city-wide sale in Paris; it's like Black Friday, except it lasts for a whole month. Yes, you read right. A month. I would have been out the door the minute my favorite boutiques opened this morning if not for class. What's that about? Oh yes...I came here to study. Is it sad that I forget that on a daily basis?
Besides the shopping, the past week has been exciting, to say the least. For those of you who are in my parents' Sunday School class or are have been anywhere near my parents during the past week, you probably know about the sickness I endured over our group's weekend excursion...it was less than pleasant, to say the least. But I am a firm believer in the power of prayer, and I find it no coincidence that my symptoms were all but gone the day after everyone started praying for me. So thank you to everyone who was a part of that--I am so overwhelmed and grateful for the way all of you have loved and cared for me. That's exactly what a church should be.
Back to our weekend excursion: We spent the weekend in Loire Valley, a region that is full of chateaus (that's French castles, for you). We visited three (incredible) chateaus and then spent the night in one that was literally in the middle of the country, except somehow 10 other girls and I ended up staying in cabins in the middle of the woods (aka, servants' quarters). But's that another story.
My fever/chills/nausea/other symptoms I'll spare you set aside, the weekend was great. I felt like I had traveled back in time! All I was missing was a huge gown and, of course, a prince. :)




I am quickly becoming more and more aware of how little time I have left in this city--8 days! That is why Janna (my roommate) and I decided to be super Parisian yesterday afternoon. We always see people sitting along the street at cafes, drinking their espresso and watching people pass by all day; it must not be hard to guess what we spent our afternoon doing. Though I would like to think we looked like any other Parisian girls taking a coffee break along Rue du Four, I know we didn't because we were smiling and laughing the whole time. (Side note: Parisians don't smile, and they definitely don't take pictures of their coffee)

Until next time, cheers! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment