Monday, June 13, 2011

So nice in Nice

This time a little over 24 hours ago I was in Nice, France. Isn't it crazy how traveling works? Within hours you can literally be on the other side of the world. Or on the other side of France.
In case you haven't already read my blog from the links I obnoxiously post on Facebook all of the time, six of my new girlfriends and I decided to take a little vacation to the south of France for a few days. Our train left on Wednesday evening, putting us in Nice around 12:00 a.m. We walked to our hostel from the train station (probably not the best idea we've ever had) and crashed the minute we got there. ...oh wait, we crashed after discovering that our group had been split up into two different rooms and came to grips with the fact that we would be sharing a bedroom and bathroom with 10 other strangers.
Did I mention I was new at this traveling abroad thing?
Luckily, we ended up with the coolest people in our hostel; there were literally people from all over the world. And they all spoke English--brownie points!
On Thursday we took a bus to Villefranche, a little beach that we heard was great to spend the day at. It might have been one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, ever. Minus the fact that women (of all ages, might I add) were topless. Don't worry, I kept mine on. The sunburn that would have resulted would have been detrimental to my health.
Just look at the beauty...





 The view from where I was laying--does it get any better than this? 

And then I had seafood risotto at this cute little restaurant by the sea. After I pulled the shrimp's head off, of course. YUM!

On Friday, we were all feeling a little adventurous and decided to go scuba diving in the Mediterranean. Apparently you don't have to be certified in Nice to scuba? I know, it sounds sketchy. But we each got our own scuba instructor to go down with us--mine was literally on my back the entire time, guiding me through the sea life and making sure I was still breathing the whole time. See? Not sketchy.
From left: Spenser, Janna (my roomie), Jennifer, Nicole, Me, Mandi, and Abby
We were so excited to go! 

Our diving point

Who knew wetsuits were so hard to put on?


These are a few of the guys that were staying in my room at the hostel. A couple were from Canada, a couple from Maryland, one from the west coast--we lucked out!

Saturday brought an allergic reaction from...well, we still don't know. Probably the tuna that was on my Nicoise salad at lunch. Luckily I was able to get an antihistamine from the pharmacy and was back to normal in no time.
I told you it was scary...tell me I don't look like Violet from Willy Wonka when she turns into a blueberry. And this wasn't even the worst of it.

The last night brought me, Abby and Jennifer to Monte Carlo! It was incredible, but I was disappointed I didn't see Blake Lively and her boyfriend Leonardo DiCaprio there. That aside, it was the perfect ending to a fabulous vacation! (If only I could have afforded a Mercedes taxi ride home!..we took the train instead)

I feel so blessed to have the friends I do on this trip--L-O-V-E them!

I feel like I just crammed way too much into one blog post, but I just don't have time to blog as often when I'm exploring and scuba diving and eating my weight in Nutella--so sorry!
Until next time...xoxo

1 comment:

  1. The pictures of Nice almost look like a postcard...they have this interesting aura (is that how you spell that word?) around them..probably just the romance of the experience, right?
    I can't imagine the scuba experience..glad you had someone right there with you. Your Mom would have had an "after-the-fact" panic attack. I also looked at Janna's pics...loved the step-by-step scuba pics:) I miss you BEYOND the moon and back..but love the fact that you're there. This will be a treasured memory for a lifetime! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete