Sunday, June 26, 2011

soak it up

The morning began with bells...five minutes of them. Living next door to priests (and their chapel) is a lot louder than I ever thought it would be.
This was followed by a trip to the open market down the street. There are tents lining the median at the center of Boulevard Raspail, filled with fresh produce and homemade pastries and flowers so fresh that their scents overpower everything else there. I passed the onion hash browns being fried to order on my right, passed the vat of fresh vegetables sizzling in butter on my left and headed straight for the muffins. Janna and I discovered this bakery tent last Sunday, and these muffins have since held the key to my heart. My favorite are the lemon poppyseed--they're soft but not crumbly, the lemon poppy seeds have the slightest crunch to them and there is fresh lemon zest in every bite.
...Did I mention that I really liked these muffins?
It really was the perfect way to wake up; knowing I'll never have that lemon poppyseed goodness again makes it even harder to leave Paris.
That's not all that makes it hard to leave, though. I'll miss spending nights by the Eiffel Tower with a bottle of wine and a blanket...

I'll miss the buildings, the architecture, the history that surrounds you wherever you go. There's just nothing like it in America.

I'll miss the simplicity of life here. People just aren't in a rush like they are back home--they make time to eat a 2 hour meal, to talk with friends and to take a stroll in Luxembourg Gardens during lunchtime.
At the same time, there are a lot of things I can't wait to get back to--most of all, my family. Skype can only suffice for so long!
The next few days are going to be filled with squeezing in absolutely everything we can before it's time to say au revoir: group dinners, climbing the Eiffel Tower (finally!), a final trip to Montmartre, a boat ride on the Seine River...I'll be soaking it all in--and maybe I'll finally smoke that long cigarette I've always talked about :) I'll let you know how that goes...
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment