Tuesday, July 12, 2011

dry spell

For those of you who write, you'll understand when I tell you that I've been going through a serious blogging dry spell. I don't know why, I don't know how. Usually my fingers are itching to write something, anything; this past week, I could not have written if my life depended on it. I've just felt like I don't have anything important enough to say (not that everything I say is necessarily important, but I usually just say it anyways).
However, I've had a "coming to Jesus" in regard to my writing, if you will. As I was doing my quiet time this morning, I stumbled upon some notes I took the other day:

"Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that." Galatians 6:4 (The Message)
Exploring and extracting excites you, honors God, and expands His kingdom.

I suddenly realized that I was making light of a passion, a gift that God had given me. The reason I wasn't excited to write was because I wasn't looking at it as an exploration of God's work given to me; I wasn't using it to honor Him; I wasn't sinking myself into what I loved. When I failed to do those things, of course I wasn't going to enjoy writing. Doing something only for yourself is never as satisfying as doing it for God, and I experienced that firsthand.

So I have resolved to return to my passion with passion. There are words on this page right now--that's a start. I never want to disappoint God with the way I use his gifts to me, something that is so easy to do when we fail to recognize how much power we actually have through Him.
I want to love what I do and do it well because I know that it's God's will for me: "God is working in you to help you want to do and be able to do what pleases Him." Philippians 2:13

I sort of feel like I can breathe again...my writer's block is gone, my dry spell has been soaked, the words are flowing and my fingers are moving. The Dressing Room is back in session!

1 comment:

  1. I just love you! What words of wisdom...and I will do my best to remember them when I prepare to go back into my classroom, as this is a God-given gift and opportunity as well. Thank you, Sarah Bethie!

    ReplyDelete