Sunday, August 28, 2011

in limbo

So I'm entering an especially special time in my life. You could say it has me in a limbo, of sorts. As a senior in college, I find myself in this strange place I've never been before. I'm still in school and enjoying every minute of the blessing of a life God has given me; at the same time, my mind is already a year ahead, trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing and where God wants me and what my purpose in life is. Mentally, my mind is going in at least five different directions at any given minute. It's exciting, but I find myself getting overwhelmed more easily than I ever have before. I'm also becoming increasingly sentimental--I cried the first time I saw the commercial for the Winnie the Pooh movie. Seriously...who am I?
So when I went home this Sunday afternoon to be with my parents--let's be honest, I needed counsel--my heart lifted when they brought Country Crossroads home for lunch after church (this place has some of the best fried chicken and vegetables you'll ever have). We always used to eat at Crossroads for Sunday lunch when I was in high school, and there was this part of me that felt like I had traveled six years back to a time in my life when my biggest worry was what our banner would look like for the football game that next Friday night. I'm telling you...sentimental.
Of course I ended up spilling a magnified version of what I'm writing about to the two people I admire and love the most, mom and dad. And the longer we talked, the more my eyes were opened. They have a way with words (and back rubs and hugs and kleenex) that always leaves me with a peace I didn't have before coming to them. Isn't that what home should be?
I could write ten blog posts just on our conversation today, but I will leave you with the most important thing I came away with: that is the knowledge that God is in control, He already knows my future and wants me to be and live in the here and now so that He can use me and bless me to the fullest. I am so painfully and sinfully human, and sometimes it takes the two of them to make me remember those very clear things. Thank God for them, literally. This has been a novel of a blog, I know, but I will end with an excerpt from a book that my mom sent me back to Athens with:

"...This is your great task, to get calm in My Presence, not to let one ruffled feeling stay for one moment. Years of blessing may be checked in one moment by that. 
No matter who frets you or what, yours is the task to stop all else until absolute calm comes. Any block means My Power diverted into other channels.
Pour forth--pour forth--pour forth--I cannot bless a life that does not act as a channel. My Spirit brooks no stagnation, not even rest. It's Power must flow on. Pass on everything, every blessing. Abide in Me...Dwell much in My Presence."

3 comments:

  1. SB, Tonight Denise taught on the Holy Spirit. That we are to take the temporal things of this life and use them as a platform to share the mighty work of Christ in our lives. Only in the power of the Holy Spirit can we do this. Your blog is your platform from which you share with all of us who read how God is working in your life! Dad and I loved your blog from Sunday and are so blessed to call you our daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post!! What book is that from?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna! The book is called "God Calling" by A.J. Russell. It's an oldie but a goodie :)

    ReplyDelete