Tuesday, September 6, 2011

fall favorites day 3

Fall HAS arrived! For the first time in months, literally, I got chill bumps during my walk to class. I almost wanted another layer to put over me on my way back home, but I enjoyed being chilly too much to think twice about it (and let me tell you, that never happens). Watch it go and be 100 degrees tomorrow just because I said that. Knocking on wood right now.
So what is my fall favorite #3? Well...it's
The Changing of the Leaves
That sounds like the title of some tacky, melodramatic play, but it really is one of my favorite things. It's one of the many reasons I love living in Georgia; we get all four seasons every year. Here's a snapshot of Northeast Georgia in the fall:

There is nothing more awe-inspring than watching the leaves turn to their bright reds, oranges and yellows. It is just the most beautiful thing. I actually found a little tree at home whose leaves are trying their best to do this right now!
My home (home home, as in Habersham) is surrounded by trees; we like to say that we're nestled into the woods. (One great thing about that is that you can walk outside in your underwear and no one will ever see you!) So when the leaves change, it's like living in a fall fairyland. 
Lake Burton is no less magnificent. The water is as smooth as glass; everyone has taken their last boat ride for the summer. And the mountains in the background loom over the water, the colored leaves bleeding together to look like one big swirl of paint. 



There's something about it that takes me back to my childhood every time--again, my sentiment is taking over. So I'll end this before I get too mushy. I hope you enjoy the changing leaves as much as I do!


1 comment: