Thursday, November 3, 2011

a new perspective

I think it's safe to say that winter is beginning to make its entrance, and I don't know how I feel about it.

Okay...let's be honest. I'm not loving it.

I am, without a doubt, made for the South. The heat, the food, the music, the culture, the heat...catch my drift? I was made for warm weather, so every morning that I open my door to 38 degrees is a rude awakening. However, I'm trying to be more positive about the changing season. It's definitely a mind-over-matter process, and I'll explain why:

I am currently reading through the Bible right now--yes, starting at Genesis 1:1. I decided to do this a few weeks ago when I realized that I didn't want to get to Heaven and have to say, "Sorry God...I never made it around to reading that letter you wrote me. Was there anything that I missed?"
There really is no excuse for not reading it, so here I am.
A while back, as I was reading the story of Noah (which, by the way, is so much cooler than the one they tell in Sunday school), I discovered a new part of the promise God made to Noah that I had never before known. God didn't just throw a rainbow in the sky and promise to never flood the earth again; He also promised the changing of seasons. So every time winter turns to spring and summer to fall, that is a result of the covenant God made with Noah. Seriously...who knew?

After reading that, I gained a new perspective on seasons. Do I now love cold weather? No. No, absolutely not. But I have a harder time complaining about winter when I know that it's here because of God's promise to never destroy the earth again. So when I weigh the options: Winter?.....Massive earth flood?....having to put on a few more sweaters doesn't seem so bad.

Here's to winter! (Stay positive, Sarah Beth...stay positive)

2 comments:

  1. Wait! Let me do this reading the bible thing with you! I need someone to hold me accountable! I gotta find out where you are and get caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! We'll figure out a reading plan on Sunday :) Believe me, I'll need you just as much as you'll need me!

    ReplyDelete