Thursday, August 2, 2012

7

If you are a woman (of any age, really) from or living in Habersham County, then you probably knew what this post was going to be about the minute you saw the title.

7. It's a book. It's a journey. It's a semi-temporary lifestyle--one that I hope to continue even after the journey officially ends.

About a month ago God spoke to a woman named Heather Cody--really, truly, so seriously a woman of God--through "7" and inspired her to create Group 7. The book, written by a rockstar of a woman named Jen Hatmaker, follows the author's family's journey in identifying seven areas of excess in their lives and the seven choices made to fight back against them.

Food.
Clothes.
Spending.
Media.
Possessions.
Waste.
Stress.

Thirty days are spent on each topic--thus, the seven-month journey. Each month follows a rule of seven: only seven foods are eaten, seven articles of clothing worn, spend money in seven places...you get where this goes.
Honestly, I can't possibly explain the enormity and depth of this journey on my own; any effort to do so would be inadequate. See for yourself: http://jenhatmaker.com/blog/2011/12/26/an-experimental-mutiny-against-excess.

So after Heather's prompting on Facebook to become a part of this revolution, responses poured in. I think people are weighed down by the excess our culture encourages, suffocated by lifestyles that make life increasingly complicated and competitive; I know I am. So onto the bandwagon I hop! I do this alongside women in my community that I so respect and admire, alongside my sister and best friend, and alongside my mom and dad--praise JESUS for a family that is making this journey together!

NOW...I am doing a modified version of 7. When I say modified, I mean that I am not choosing seven single foods to eat for a month but will base my eating choices around seven principles that were made to make less of me and more of the sweet Jesus that I'm counting on to get me through this month. Seriously, He has to show up, because I can.not. do this alone. I could literally feel my jaw clenching as my mom and I wrote down our seven principles the other night.

"Mom. After I write this, it's done. It's done. This thing might as well have been written in blood! I can't go back after it's written. (Dramatic wail follows)"

So please ignore me when I come complaining about how I haven't gotten to eat Yoforia "oneeeeeee singleeeeeeeee stinking time" in two weeks; I'm just being dramatic, and Jesus is not amused.

I feel like I'm leaving this blog unfinished somehow, because there is SO much more to all of this than I have made known. But that's what I'm dedicating this blog to sharing over the next few weeks--shoot, the next seven months!--as I experience a journey that will simplify life and amplify Christ.

The journey technically started yesterday, so I'll share a bit of what day 1 held in a later blog post (hint: it makes for the best crock pot of chili or bowl of spaghetti you'll ever have, promise. Cross my heart, hope to DIE in a pot of said spaghetti!).

Soooooo here we go! Jesus be near and please, for the love of all things sweet, keep Grit cake away! Satan would have a field day with that one...

2 comments:

  1. I've missed something because this is news to me! I'm definitely going to look it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cari--yes! Look it up! It's an incredible book and journey. Group 7 would love you in it!

      Delete