Thursday, August 2, 2012

I Think I Can...Tomatoes

In my last post I told you that day 1 of my 7 journey brought the making of what I deem the secret to the best chili and spaghetti you'll ever have eat...or inhale, if you use this ingredient.

(Side note: there are a lot of numbers going on here. I'm sorry about that. I really am, because I understand. There is a reason I majored in public relations.)

My mom has been a canning machine all summer long, let me tell you. Pickles, squash pickles (she gets to enjoy those by herself), green beans, blackberry jam...our pantry is stocked full. And I love it. I love it because I think that canning has become a lost art, something that people don't want to mess with anymore because it takes time. Imagine that...having to wait on something and be patient. Yes, it's 2012 and I believe that those are lost arts as well.

But not for Britt! So on day 1, she conquered tomatoes:

This was a continuation of her summer canning projects, yes, but it was also a way to help preserve produce for our first month of 7. (If you are still completely lost as to why I keep dropping the number 7, read my last post.)
I give my mom 100% of the credit for all of the cans we ended up with, but I DID peel the skins off of some of the tomatoes after they had been submerged in scalding hot water. And then I ate them. I ate hot, limp tomato skins. I must have been starving?...But I swear they were good.




I know it looks like a weird process--and it is--but listen to me. These canned tomatoes are magical. Put them in your chili this winter (or this summer, if you're insane); put them in your pot of spaghetti and you might even decide that you don't need noodles. 
That's a lie. Spaghetti must have heaping piles of noodles.
It must also have a spoonful of grape jelly in the meat and tomato sauce. Know that I LOVE YOU because that is a secret family ingredient.
Not a secret anymore. 

I promise I can keep secrets!

So we continue our 7 journey loving vegetables and loving the time we get to spend together canning them. Because that's part of the journey, simplifying life and enjoying more of Jesus in the simplicity. 
For me, it's also discovering new foods that God gave us that I haven't made time to cook and love. One of my principles is to find seven healthy foods that I have never cooked and...well, cook them. Take advantage of the options that God has so generously provided. 
Because he could have just given us iceberg lettuce and called it a day. But He didn't, because He loves us and wants us to have things like...rainbow chard! 


I have had it before but never bought and fixed it for myself, so here was an opportunity. Rainbow chard (stems included--there the vitamins lay), mushrooms, garlic, red pepper flakes...
YUM. Thank you Jesus for rainbow chard!





No comments:

Post a Comment